Thursday, January 21, 2016

Surgery #1 BSO

I decided to have my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed. This is called a BSO (Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy). Research shows that ovarian cancer often starts in the Fallopian tubes. At this time, I'm keeping my uterus. The BRCA gene mutation doesn't have a significant increased risk of uterine cancer. I'm going to be less invasive and keep it in there. My surgery was laparoscopic, leaving me with 4 smallish incisions:


I have been having annual vaginal ultrasounds on my ovaries. Those aren't fun at all. The point is to measure the ovaries and look for any changes/growth from year to year. That is one of the only screening methods available, and it isn't very effective. The ultrasound doesn't usually show tumor growth till ovarian cancer is quite progressed. Now that my ovaries are out, no more vaginal ultrasounds for me!!!!!!

Removal of my ovaries means removing all hormones. Without hormones, I'm in menopause. At age 32. Menopause affects all women differently, so I don't yet know how my body will react. Here are some of the possibilities:

-hot flashes/night sweats
-sleep disturbances
-vaginal dryness
-anxiety
-depression
-skin changes
-weight gain
-loss of libido
-mood swings
-fatigue
-hair loss
-odor changes
-memory loss
-osteoporosis
-headaches

It takes some time for hormones to leave the body, so I don't yet know which of these symptoms will occur for me. Mystery waiting to unfold. So far I've had night sweats, sleep issues, headaches, and my hair is shedding, but I'm still recovering from surgery, so it's hard to know if the cause is hormonal. As of now, I plan to start low dose HRT (hormone replacement therapy) in the next couple of months. Because I kept my uterus, I will need both estrogen and progesterone. When women remove their ovaries AND uterus, they only need estrogen. Sometimes testosterone is also helpful to combat certain symptoms. This is all new to me, so I have a ton to learn. I also will start taking regular vitamin supplements and calcium. Bone loss post menopause is a HUGE issue. I'll need to have bone density tests.

Many women choose to not take hormones. The main reason is that hormones increase the risk of breast cancer. And obviously, if I have a gene mutation that already leaves me in danger, I wouldn't want to add any other factors to the list. I feel comfortable starting hormones because I am planning to have a PBM (Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy) January 2017. My doctor feels that 10 or 11 months on hormones won't have a huge impact on my breast cancer risk this year. And the hormones will help me manage this menopause transition. Cumulative hormones, for years, is where the real danger lies. And then, next January, my breasts will be gone. And my risk will be (nearly) gone. I say nearly because it's impossible to remove EVERY breast cell with a mastectomy. Breast cells are spread out beyond the actual breasts (up the chest, toward the armpits, etc.). Surgeons do their best to remove as much breast tissue as possible, but there is always the chance that breast cancer could occur in any remaining cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment