Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pre-Op Appointment

Just got home from my pre-op appointment with my plastic surgeon. They try to do these appts just one day before surgery, but because my surgery is on a Monday, and the dr has a conflict tomorrow (Friday), it ended up being today, Thursday. She had to "mark" me. Basically draw all over and above and below my breasts with a surgical marker. This helps the surgeon, when the patient is lying flat during surgery, with creating incisions in the correct locations, symmetry, etc. So, I get to live the next 4 days covered in marker, clear up to my throat. Good thing it's cold and rainy. I think I'll be wearing scarves.

She also gave me the surgical marker and said to keep tracing over her marks through the weekend, so they don't fade too much with showers and the passing of time. She answered final questions I had. She said that about 10% of the time there is necrosis (death of skin/tissue) which results in further surgeries and tissue grafts. We're hoping this will not be the case for me! She told me she knows this is difficult and that I'm brave. She said that I am in prime health (no smoking, steroids, weight, age, no cancer, etc.) and that she hopes for the optimal outcome. Then she smiled and said "See you Monday!"

Monday. It's going to be a long, strange weekend. And my daughter is coming down with a cold. So I'm off to Clorox wipe the entire house.

No comments:

Post a Comment