Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Project De Jour

This is a funny story. I've been trying to find a better way to store my earrings. I don't have a ton, but they've all been swimming together in a small jewelry box. Everytime I look for a pair, it frustrates me.

So, I saw this idea online somewhere and decided it was a great solution. 2:30 yesterday I realized I had one free hour till my kids would be home from school. I drove quick to D.I. Found the perfect sized frame for $0.50. Score! Drive to Lowe's. Looked for chicken wire, metal sheeting with some sort of holes, etc. Ran from one far end of the store clear to the other far wall. Everything I was finding came in huge sheets or rolls. I only needed a piece 11"x17".

I found a nice employee named Dale. He's about my dads age. I explained to him what I was making. He tried to help me look around for a smaller piece of somethings, but no luck. Then he said, "I don't mean for this to sound creepy, but I seriously have a whole pile of this stuff at my house. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. You really should just come and take a piece. I've been trying to get rid of it anyway." So, I figured, what the heck! Live on the wild side and go to a strangers house. This is generally not something I would do, but I felt OK about it. Besides, he wouldn't even be there, since he was clearly at work. He gave me his address. It was 9 minutes away. My clock said 3:10. He said it was outside, leaning against his house. I drove there. Jumped out of my van and found the perfect small piece. Left Dale a short thank you note form a post it I had in my van. Drove home. 3:30 exactly! Score!

Anyway, I quickly painted the frame with paint I already had and used wire cutters to cut the piece to size. Hung it on the wall and voila! Project earring organization complete! Thanks Dale!

No comments:

Post a Comment